Manas National Park is located in Assam, India. It spreads in an area of 360 square km. Name of the park is placed over the Manas River. The park is basically known for its rare & endangered wildlife species like Assam Roofed Turtle, Hispid Hare, Golden Langur and Pygmy Hog and is part of Project Tiger. Manas National Park was declared a wildlife sanctuary on October 1, 1928 and also listed in the UNESCO world heritage sites in 1985. Here, some of the best features of the park are given:-
|Manas National Park|
1. It is a perfect home for wild buffalo, elephant, tiger, rhino and for the thousands of endangered species that listed in the IUCN Red Book. Asiatic buffalo is one of the highlighted species of this park. It is a paradise for these species.
|Elephants in Manas National Park|
2. Flora of the park is gives it a picturesque view. The main vegetation of the park includes Sub-Himalayan light Alluvial Semi-Evergreen forests in the northern part; East Himalayan mixed Moist and Dry Deciduous forests, Low Alluvial Savanna Woodland and Assam Valley Semi-Evergreen Alluvial Grasslands. Assam Valley Semi-Evergreen Alluvial Grasslands covers around 50 % of the park.
|View of the hills inside Manas National Park|
3. Total 543 species of plants, 374 species of dicotyledons, 139 species of monocotyledons and 30 species of pteridophytes & gymnosperms are available there.
4. Fauna of the park include 55 species of mammals, 380 species of birds, 50 species of reptiles and 3 species of amphibians.
|Langur in Manas National Park|
5. The popular faunal species are Asian Elephants, Indian Rhinoceros, Gaurs, Asian Water Buffaloes, Indian Tigers, Leopards, Clouded Leopards, Capped Langurs, Asian Golden Cat, Slow Loris, Assamese Macaques, Barking Deer, Chital, Black Panther, etc.
6. Manas National Park has more than 450 species of birds and has the largest population of Bengal Florican that attracts most of the people towards it.
|Bengal Florican - Image by NaveenGuruprasad on flickr.com|
7. The major bird species include Giant Hornbils, Kalij Pheasants, Egrets, Pelicans, Brahminy Ducks, Scarlet Minivets, Fishing Eagles, Herons, Harriers, Mergansers, Magpie Robins, Bee-Eaters, etc.
8. More than 50 species of reptiles are available there. Jeep safari and an Elephant safari are available there to explore the park perfectly. It may be a thrilling experience to watch the animals from the open roofed jeeps and is great fun also.
9. The climate of the park varies from season to season. The minimum temperature is approximately 15 degrees Celsius and approximately 37 degrees Celsius is the maximum temperature in all the seasons. Heavy rainfall also occurs during the summer season, i.e. from May to September.
10. Best season to visit Manas National Park (Source of information) is between November and April as during these seasons, one can see the local animal species as well as the migratory birds. Time to visit the park is from 9 to 12 AM and from 2 to 5 PM.
Our Entry for ABC Wednesday.